Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Bongo

June 6, 2008 9:27:06 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

Dewey Cox- Funniest movie I've seen since Pootie Tang. How did the Oscars miss this one?

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

June 6, 2008 10:29:43 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

1/2 way through the year. Time to cut the list short for part 2

Big Sleep - B- Had it's moments, even lots of them and I feel like a bad person for giving such a classic something that close to a C. But there was WAY too much going on, too many tangled stories, too many bodies, too many killers and too many things Marlow figured out without clues that were available to the audience. The key to mysteries is to give the audience all the clues needed to solve the case.

It was well worth watching, but trying to follow the all plot twists and character relationships just got in the way of the awesome chandler dialog and chemistry between bogey and becall. FWIW - I just read the plot summary on wikipedia. Jebus, probably works great as a novel, but you just can't track that many threads in a single viewing of a 120 minute movie.

The Good German - B Looks great, good acting with modern actors doing a good tribute to the noir style. Toby McGuire is quite good. The story is a bit weak - maybe because there just wasn't the spark between Clooney and Blanchett that would justify his apparent infatuation with her.

interesting movies to see so close to each other.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

Bongo

June 6, 2008 4:27:50 pm

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

Cheap: You want to see a good up to date noir-type film, check out Brick.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

June 6, 2008 4:49:42 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
The Good German - B Looks great, good acting with modern actors doing a good tribute to the noir style. Toby McGuire is quite good. The story is a bit weak - maybe because there just wasn't the spark between Clooney and Blanchett that would justify his apparent infatuation with her.

Really? I didn't get that at all. i thought it was kind of wooden all through with the exception of McGuire.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

CheapSeats

June 7, 2008 9:07:09 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
cheapseats said...

Really? I didn't get that at all. i thought it was kind of wooden all through with the exception of McGuire.

I think "wooden" isn't a bad one-word description of all noir detective movie acting. I think there was too much talent in that movie for it to be accidental. Perhaps overdone, or awkward.

- Mangoholico

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

CheapSeats

June 7, 2008 9:17:46 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

Part 1, Jan-May
Big Sleep - B- Had it's moments, even lots of them and I feel like a bad person for giving such a classic something that close to a C. But there was WAY too much going on, too many tangled stories, too many bodies, too many killers and too many things Marlow figured out without clues that were available to the audience. The key to mysteries is to give the audience all the clues needed to solve the case.

It was well worth watching, but trying to follow the all plot twists and character relationships just got in the way of the awesome chandler dialog and chemistry between bogey and becall. FWIW - I just read the plot summary on wikipedia. Jebus, probably works great as a novel, but you just can't track that many threads in a single viewing of a 120 minute movie.

interesting movies to see so close to each other.

Marie Antoinette - B Really amazing costumes and sets (to the extent full access to shoot at Versailles is a "set"), the movie is really odd for a historical drama. There isn't much drama/plot and various scenes use incredibly odd music selection - tending towards 80's new wave. It worked for me - Antionette as Paris Hilton, who does the right thing, perhaps the first adult act of her life in staying in Versailles and with her king as the crowds come for them. Didn't work for the wife at all.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   Edited by CheapSeats June 14, 2008 3:53:10 am.

juansamuel

June 8, 2008 10:40:35 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay- A: Really funny all the way through. Of course it's completely over the top, but sometimes you need that.

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Blotto

June 8, 2008 6:18:27 pm

The hair, the myth, the legend.

[ Link to this post ]

Kung Fu Panda. Perhaps the perfect vehicle for Jack Black's "talents". However the best part was using Ian McShane (Deadwood) for the villan's voice. It was a perfect casting but he didn't drop any cocksuckers on the Panda.

[ PM Blotto ]   __________________
Rhinoceruses don't wear shirts. - bloodninja

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

June 9, 2008 5:11:26 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

1/1: Pee Wee's Big Adventure--> D Netflix

1/4: Robots--> A- Robin Williams is a funny mf even animated. Netflix

1/6: The Wire-Season 2--> A Not quite as excellent as Season 1, but some pretty**** good teevee. Netflix

1/10: Monsters, Inc.--> A+ Best movie ending evar. Netflix

1/19: Spiderman 3--> C. Just needed about 3 more story lines to be totally incomprehensible. Cool "fight" scenes, tho. Netflix

1/21: Rounders--> A-. Trying to figure out what the "-" is for. Even more so trying to figure out how Dyl and Cheaps gave it a B. Tough graders. Netflix

1/23: The Wire-Season 3--> A+. Top Notch. What great acting and writing. Netflix

1/26: A Good Year--> B+/B Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott make a thoroughly entertaining "small" film. Great date movie. A Good Year >>> Sideways imho.
Netflix

2/2: Sideways--> B+ Better than I remembered and the comparison above is a little unfair. They're different movies. Certainly more moments in Sideways. Netflix

2/6: The Wire-Season 4--> A+ Again. Sad that there is only one more season. Netflix

2/15: 3:10 to Yuma--> B Excellent acting and a really good movie up until the ending. Netflix

2/17: Miller's Crossing--> B Good acting and writing, but there really didn't seem to be a point. The Coen brothers sure love to put all kinds of clever cinematic twists in their work, but I never really seem to get it. Netflix

Full Disclosure, this is lifted verbatim from Brickwall's review:

2/20: Eastern Promises--> B+ Very good movie. A little difficult to get into and it's not a high paced action thriller by any means, but very intense. Questions in the begin eventually come out through the course of the movie. The fight scene is not for the faint of heart. Netflix

Confirm. Oh, and Naomi Watts = hawtness

2/22: National Treasure, Book of Secrets--> C What a mess. What a cast. If I'm going to see Ed Harris and Helen Mirren in a scene together, I wish it had been in a better movie. The target audience (v2) gave it a 10. Theater

2/28: Cars--> A Watched it with the sprouts last Fall and, along with football, this movie got me off my *** and buying a bigger, better, badder tee vee. It was worth it. I Pixar. Netflix

3/4/08: Shawshank Redemption--> A Great movie, GREAT acting. OnDemand

3/7/08: Mr. Mom--> C+ Man did this movie look dated. Still, a good movie to watch with the fambly. I ed Terri Garr back in the day. OnDemand

3/8/08: The Jane Austen Book Club--> A- Great "little" movie. Great literate movie. Great chick flick. The "-" is because of the unremitting happy endings, but still well worth watching w/your spouse. Especially if you have both read Jane Austen, but that's not required. Netflix

3/29 American Gangster--> A- Good movie. Seemed like I had seen it somewhere before, though. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe are very good. Netflix

4/24/08 No Country for Old Men--> A- Good movie, but not as good as the book. Pretty grim and wayyyyyy bloody. Not really what I would have expected for Best Movie. Tommy Lee Jones is his standard excellent seff. Netflix

4/27/08 "M"--> A About as powerful as a movie can get. Peter Lorre-awesomely creepy. Netflix

5/14/08--> Before The Devil Knows You're Dead -B for the story, A for Marisa Tomei, TT for TThank YYou Nnamath. Good crime drama with plenty of angles. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke do good work.--> Confirm Netflix

5/26/08--> All About Eve-A for the story, screenplay and acting. A creepy stalker movie w/o the uber-violence and bizarre sexual overtones you would get today. Lots of bizarre sexual undertones though and Shakespearean soliloquies. Good stuff. You definitely have to reset your ear for the dialogue. Netflix

5/26/08--> Taxi Driver-A+ One of the best movies and acting jobs evah. The two scenes with Harvey Keitel and Robert DeNiro are epic. I just started out to watch the first 30-45 minutes and the rest tonight and ended up watching the whole thing. Jodie Foster-A+++, Cybil Shepherd, Albert Brooks and Peter Boyle-A+, DeNiro and Scorsese-Not enough plus signs. One of my favorite, if not my favorite, movies ever. Ever. OnDemand

6/8/08--> Smokin' Aces-C- Whatever this movie could have been, this was over-the top. Way over. I didn't even care about the plot twist at the end. Just wanted all the killing to stop.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Millwood

June 9, 2008 2:14:00 pm

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

You people should be in the swimming pool, not sitting on the sofa watching movies and eating snake cakes.

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

June 9, 2008 2:50:38 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Millwood said...
You people should be in the swimming pool, not sitting on the sofa watching movies and eating snake cakes.

We all have swimming pools. I really want to go to a public pool and catch e. coli from a little bastard that has a different last name than his mother .

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

June 9, 2008 3:41:38 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Millwood said...

signed

snake cakes are gross

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Millwood

June 9, 2008 3:52:01 pm

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
quote:
Millwood said...

signed

snake cakes are gross

I spell that wrong all the freakin' time. Always have. Must be one O them mental blocks or somethin

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

June 9, 2008 9:01:54 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Rambo 4 or whatever -the latest one - D

Yeah things blow up and their cool action scenes and Rambo has abow and arrow. The story is terrible, the the dialogue of a smirkin chicken board fight is more profound, and nothing makes sense. Do not rent this. Thank goodness I had a free rental.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

June 12, 2008 8:17:52 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Don't Mess With The Zohan

Adam Sandler is hit and miss with me. This one hit. The ending is a little lame and it's about 20 minutes too long but the jokes work.

Sandler plays Zohan - an Israeli counter terrorist who fakes his own death and moves to NY to fulfil his lifelong dream of being a hairdresser for Paul Mitchell. There's a lot of sex jokes, nekkid butts, and adult humor so leave the under 15s at home. Great cameos by Mariah Carey (who looks awesome), Micheal Buffer (Let's Get Ready To Rumble dude who plays the main heavy), John McEnroe, Kevin James, and Dave Mathews. Mathews plays the other bad guy, a redneck racist terrorist. It's actually funny. Thank the Lord he isn't singing or playing guitar. Maybe his film career will take off and we will be without his crappy music. Oh, and dudes, the main love interest is E's girlfriend from Entourage, Sloane. She's about the person who keeps her clothes on so I knock off points for that.

Overall - I give a B

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

June 12, 2008 11:18:24 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

City of God- A+: I've seen it before, but it's just a fucking phenomenal movie. It has to be good to get me to watch subtitles. I believe it was directed by the same director who did Man on Fire, but of course he did this one first.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

The Falconer

June 13, 2008 2:44:27 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

At the Theater
I Am Legend B+: Will Smith has to carry this movie all by himself like Tom Hands in Castaway. Solid, I was hoping for great.

Kite Runner A-: beautiful, my mom considers the book one of the best things she has read in many years.

Alien V Predator II C: Alien and Predator mayhem, I expected little and was left satisfied.

Cloverfield B-: I nearly barfed, only watched the screen about 50% of the time.

U2 3D A: If this is the future of concert movies I'm very excited. My U2 passion has faded a bit lately but I walked out of this pumped and totally jazzed about hearing the old classics.

There will be Blood! A: Worth seeing just for D-D. Lewis amazing performance. Each character he plays in movies has a distinct way of speaking. Based on a novella by Upton Sinclair or Sinclair Lewis--I forget which.

Savages A-: Fantastic acting about the difficult subject on a parent dying. Hard to watch at moments but also amusing in spots.

Jumper C+: Special effects are cool, very disappointing when I got 1/3 into the movie to discover they just stole the plot from another cult sci-fi movie.

Bank Job B-: Plot not as flashy or unbelievable as a lot of heist movies are these days. Enjoyable but not amazing.

Iron Man: A+ Everything an action/comic movie should be.

Baby Momma: B+ Good writing with some funny cameos.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day: B- Amusing period comedy, nothing special but well executed.

Indiana Jones 4: A- just like the rest, fun if you don't take it too seriously

Son of Rambo: A very nice flick about two British kids trying to make their own Rambo-esque movie

Price Caspian: B Special effects good, pacing not so good.

Incredible Hulk: A

Kung Fu Panda: A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watched on DVD:
I purchased the Coen Brothers box set.
Watched Raising Arizona
Blood Simple B+
Barton Fink: Very over-rated. C+
Miller's Crossing: Also over-rated B-

Interesting to watch their early movie (Blood Simple) and see a number of devices that were used more effectively in their latter movies. For example, the bumbling mistakes show up in Fargo where the guy forgets where he buried the money. Also the use of footsteps on a stairs and hallway show up in the hotel scene of No Country for Old Men. Frances McDormand is not great--she has clearly improved on a actress over the years.

[ PM The Falconer ]   __________________
http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

June 13, 2008 9:10:12 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
The Falconer said...
At the Theater
I Am Legend B+: Will Smith has to carry this movie all by himself like Tom Hands in Castaway. Solid, I was hoping for great.

'Great' would have been if they had kept the original ending. Search around online and you can find it. It's much better, but as frequently happens in books made into movies, can't really be explained in film without some exposition, which was never done.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

CheapSeats

June 14, 2008 11:56:57 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
juansamuel said...
City of God- A+: I've seen it before, but it's just a fucking phenomenal movie. It has to be good to get me to watch subtitles. I believe it was directed by the same director who did Man on Fire, but of course he did this one first.

agree x2 . really, really good.

- Mangoholico

Nnamath

June 15, 2008 12:04:04 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Blotto said...
Kung Fu Panda. Perhaps the perfect vehicle for Jack Black's "talents". However the best part was using Ian McShane (Deadwood) for the villan's voice. It was a perfect casting but he didn't drop any cocksuckers on the Panda.

signed

Saw it tonight.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread