Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Fezzik

June 15, 2008 12:16:16 am

Jr. Prospect

[ Link to this post ]

Paid $6.50 to see The Happening. Better than I thought it would be. Zooey Deshanel is highly underrated. B+

When it was over, we decided to hop on over and watch The Hulk at no cost. Ed Norton is great! Liv was pretty good, and it was more like the TV series, which I loved. Tim Roth was way over the top, but still a very good flick. A-

[ PM Fezzik ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

June 16, 2008 10:34:57 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Semi -Pro D-

Nothing works in the movie but Woody Harrelson's character but he's not supposed to be funny. I couldn't believe how few laughs were in this piece of crap.

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

June 17, 2008 9:18:56 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

Sex in the City- Four incredibly self indulgent women caught up in their own hubris and self pity learn life's hard truths and how it affects their shallow, empty lives. A few laffs(I had to get stoned as a ************ before going in) and some nice looking eye candy for the target audience. If you haven't seen it, wait for Netflix.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

June 25, 2008 11:27:38 am

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

There Will Be Blood. - F for Fell Asleep. Wow, eight shades of boring. I woke up at the end to see the art house ending. Still unimpressive. Lewis was very good as a conniving psychopath, but I couldn't muster any emotion for any of the characters one way or the other.

I could've been watching Hell's Kitchen.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

H.A.

June 28, 2008 1:05:58 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

WALL*E = AWESOM*E

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ATLaggie

June 28, 2008 9:06:51 pm

Ask me how many licks it takes to get to the center of MO

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
WALL*E = AWESOM*E

Agreed, a great movie. A++++++++++++

[ PM ATLaggie ]   __________________
From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

June 29, 2008 11:02:42 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Happening- C+: Although there was a little bit of awesomeness in seeing interesting ways for people to kill themselves, it was ultimately a pretty weak story and ending. Had one jump-out-of-seat moment in the movie.

(spoilers)
http://www.cracked.com/article_16450_if-happening-was-10x-shorter-100x-more-honest.html

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

June 29, 2008 3:21:59 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Wanted - B+

GOTDAMNN Angelina Jolie is motherfucking hot. The story got a little weird, but the action is high quality.

Morgan Freeman is solid, but someone a little more creepy (Malcolm McDowell, maybe?) would have been better.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ATLaggie

June 29, 2008 7:36:51 pm

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
Wanted - B+

GOTDAMNN Angelina Jolie is motherfucking hot.

nekkid?

From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

June 29, 2008 8:31:29 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
AtlAggie said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
Wanted - B+

GOTDAMNN Angelina Jolie is motherfucking hot.

nekkid?

Just a great shot of her backside when she's wet.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

June 30, 2008 9:01:52 am

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
WALL*E = AWESOM*E

That's good news. I don't care much for 'puter generated toons but it's showing at the Drive-In with Iron Man so looks like we'll be going one night this week.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

auxlepli

July 1, 2008 5:47:54 pm

Barroom Hero

[ Link to this post ]

Get Smart = A-
Funny movie and better than I thought it was going to be.

The Incredible Hulk = B-
Better than Ang Lee's Hulk, but I missed some of his touches.
Edward Norton > Eric Bana, William Hurt > Sam Elliot, Tim Roth >>>>> Nick Nolte, but Jennifer Connelly > Liv Tyler.
Story still needs work, and I pretty much agree with Ebert's review about that.

[ PM auxlepli ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

July 2, 2008 10:49:11 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Fall- B: Saw it at Tara. It was visually stunning. I believe Spike Jonze had a hand in it somewhere. The little girl was ubercute, but the ending left a little bit to be desired. It's still worth it to see on the big screen. Basically a little girl goes to see a bedridden man daily for him to tell a sort of fairy tale. It transititions between fantasy and reality fairly well.

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

ATLaggie

July 3, 2008 9:47:06 am

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
Wanted - B+

GOTDAMNN Angelina Jolie is motherfucking hot. The story got a little weird, but the action is high quality.

Morgan Freeman is solid, but someone a little more creepy (Malcolm McDowell, maybe?) would have been better.

I give it a B: Over the top action, a smoking hot Jolie and a solid performance from McAvoy.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

July 4, 2008 1:03:48 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Donnie Darko- A: I really enjoyed this look at time travel. It has some funny moments in it as well. It's also a very well acted movie.

[ PM juansamuel ]   Edited by juansamuel July 4, 2008 5:55:35 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

July 5, 2008 6:45:32 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

Part 1, Jan-May
Big Sleep - B- Had it's moments, even lots of them and I feel like a bad person for giving such a classic something that close to a C. But there was WAY too much going on, too many tangled stories, too many bodies, too many killers and too many things Marlow figured out without clues that were available to the audience. The key to mysteries is to give the audience all the clues needed to solve the case.

It was well worth watching, but trying to follow the all plot twists and character relationships just got in the way of the awesome chandler dialog and chemistry between bogey and becall. FWIW - I just read the plot summary on wikipedia. Jebus, probably works great as a novel, but you just can't track that many threads in a single viewing of a 120 minute movie.

The Good German - B Looks great, good acting with modern actors doing a good tribute to the noir style. Toby McGuire is quite good. The story is a bit weak - maybe because there just wasn't the spark between Clooney and Blanchett that would justify his apparent infatuation with her.

interesting movies to see so close to each other.

Marie Antoinette - B Really amazing costumes and sets (to the extent full access to shoot at Versailles is a "set"), the movie is really odd for a historical drama. There isn't much drama/plot and various scenes use incredibly odd music selection - tending towards 80's new wave. It worked for me - Antionette as Paris Hilton, who does the right thing, perhaps the first adult act of her life in staying in Versailles and with her king as the crowds come for them. Didn't work for the wife at all.

Rushmore - B- Had it's moments for sure, but could have either gone darker with the nastiness with between Murray and the kid getting amped up and been more interesting. Ended up going for the happy ending instead.

The Point - B I was really excited to refind this movie. I remembered seeing it when it aired on TV when I was a kid, but didn't know the name or remember the story at all. I only remembered the "Me and my Arrow" song and the kid and his dog. Pretty good, very trippy - but not as good as I remembered. Netflix thinks that the original was narrated by Dustin Hoffman and that the DVD is redone with Ringo Starr instead. Maybe that's part of it.

Surfs Up - A- The surf mockumentary format works great. WAY better than expected animated penguin/surfer movie.

Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill - A Izzard makes me laugh so hard I have to pee.

Wait Until Dark - A Audrey Hepburn plays a blind woman terrorized by some bad guys over a doll stuffed with heroin. Good, but it doesn't hold up as well as it could have. The payoff scenes (when she breaks out all her lightbulbs to even the playing field) is ECELLENT, but it takes a long time to get there.

Nancy Drew - C- Unlovable main character, stupid secondary characters and a predictable plot.

Don't mess with the Zohan - B+ A little draggy, but plenty funny. Good mindless summer movie fun.

Semi-pro - C This should have been a LOT funnier than it was. Too many of the same "look at Will Ferrel being fat" not enough of the smart/stupid 70s jokes and real funneh.

Hancock - B+ Why is this thing getting bad reviews? Will Smith is funny, the movie is funny, the special effects are good, but don't detract. Taking a 1/2 turn from comedy to drama is hardly a big deal - the whole switch hinges on a nice plot twist.

Russian Ark - A+/D A+ for technical excellence. An entire movie shot in ONE fucking HD steadycam take walking through the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg, with hundreds of costumed actors and never a glimpse of the always moving lighting and sound guys. But had the exact same movie been edited, it would have been textbook boring, pretentious, disjointed art film that added nothing to a high school knowledge of Russian history. More of a technical feat than a movie.

Blues Brothers 2000 - F- Christ. why? This actually gets dropped a letter grade from the D- the movie deserves because of the good music. Without the music, I'd have been able to turn the ****** off and move on.

Double-feature last night at the starlight drive-in
Get Smart - B Kind of similar to Hancock - the action/comedy thing. Because of Austin Powers there was no chance to camp it up full-tilt funny, and the action got too big, summer spy movie at the end. Worked best in the smaller scenes, rhumba contest, laser sensors, etc.

King Fu Panda - B Better than expected. Jack Black works better as an animated character than in real life, enough of a straight story to make the rest work. They left a lot of funneh in the file cabinet by not doing a lot more taking off old-school fung fu movie cliches.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   Edited by CheapSeats July 6, 2008 7:18:17 am.

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

The Falconer

July 5, 2008 9:06:41 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

At the Theater
I Am Legend B+: Will Smith has to carry this movie all by himself like Tom Hands in Castaway. Solid, I was hoping for great.

Kite Runner A-: beautiful, my mom considers the book one of the best things she has read in many years.

Alien V Predator II C: Alien and Predator mayhem, I expected little and was left satisfied.

Cloverfield B-: I nearly barfed, only watched the screen about 50% of the time.

U2 3D A: If this is the future of concert movies I'm very excited. My U2 passion has faded a bit lately but I walked out of this pumped and totally jazzed about hearing the old classics.

There will be Blood! A: Worth seeing just for D-D. Lewis amazing performance. Each character he plays in movies has a distinct way of speaking. Based on a novella by Upton Sinclair or Sinclair Lewis--I forget which.

Savages A-: Fantastic acting about the difficult subject on a parent dying. Hard to watch at moments but also amusing in spots.

Jumper C+: Special effects are cool, very disappointing when I got 1/3 into the movie to discover they just stole the plot from another cult sci-fi movie.

Bank Job B-: Plot not as flashy or unbelievable as a lot of heist movies are these days. Enjoyable but not amazing.

Iron Man: A+ Everything an action/comic movie should be.

Baby Momma: B+ Good writing with some funny cameos.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day: B- Amusing period comedy, nothing special but well executed.

Indiana Jones 4: A- just like the rest, fun if you don't take it too seriously

Son of Rambo: A very nice flick about two British kids trying to make their own Rambo-esque movie

Price Caspian: B Special effects good, pacing not so good.

Incredible Hulk: A

Kung Fu Panda: A

Wanted: B- I saw one head exploded by a bullet, seeing 20 didn't improve this movie.

OSS117: C+ French spoof on early Bond, not funny enough.

Animation Show 4: C meh

Gonzo: Life of Hunter S. Thompson B+

Hellboy A

Batman Man Dark Knight A+

Swing Vote C+ (free preview)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watched on DVD:
I purchased the Coen Brothers box set.
Watched Raising Arizona
Blood Simple B+
Barton Fink: Very over-rated. C+
Miller's Crossing: Also over-rated B-

Interesting to watch their early movie (Blood Simple) and see a number of devices that were used more effectively in their latter movies. For example, the bumbling mistakes show up in Fargo where the guy forgets where he buried the money. Also the use of footsteps on a stairs and hallway show up in the hotel scene of No Country for Old Men. Frances McDormand is not great--she has clearly improved on a actress over the years.

[ PM The Falconer ]   Edited by The Falconer July 24, 2008 9:49:13 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

July 6, 2008 7:59:34 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
Hancock - B+ Why is this thing getting bad reviews? Will Smith is funny, the movie is funny, the special effects are good, but don't detract. Taking a 1/2 turn from comedy to drama is hardly a big deal - the whole switch hinges on a nice plot twist.

I agree. Lots of fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and Charlize Theron. Can you ask for more?

quote:
Russian Ark - A+/D A+ for technical excellence. An entire movie shot in ONE fucking HD steadycam take walking through the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg, with hundreds of costumed actors and never a glimpse of the always moving lighting and sound guys. But had the exact same movie been edited, it would have been textbook boring, pretentious, disjointed art film that added nothing to a high school knowledge of Russian history. More of a technical feat than a movie.

I saw it a few years back on DVD and thought the same thing. I didn't notice it was one long shot until about halfway through.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

ATLaggie

July 7, 2008 6:00:01 am

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
quote:
cheapseats said...

I agree. Lots of fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and Charlize Theron. Can you ask for more?

I agree as well. I loved the drunk, surly Hancock. "Cause I've been drinking, Bitch!"

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

YC

July 7, 2008 2:08:30 pm

Sweet, like a spoonful of sugared arsenic. P.S. also a Princess

[ Link to this post ]

27 Dresses - B+ Cute movie with the perfect amount of cheesy

P.S. I Love You - A Love this freakin movie. Gerard Bulter has moved up to my top 5.

[ PM YC ]   __________________
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread