Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

The Falconer

August 3, 2008 12:26:54 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

At the Theater
I Am Legend B+: Will Smith has to carry this movie all by himself like Tom Hands in Castaway. Solid, I was hoping for great.

Kite Runner A-: beautiful, my mom considers the book one of the best things she has read in many years.

Alien V Predator II C: Alien and Predator mayhem, I expected little and was left satisfied.

Cloverfield B-: I nearly barfed, only watched the screen about 50% of the time.

U2 3D A: If this is the future of concert movies I'm very excited. My U2 passion has faded a bit lately but I walked out of this pumped and totally jazzed about hearing the old classics.

There will be Blood! A: Worth seeing just for D-D. Lewis amazing performance. Each character he plays in movies has a distinct way of speaking. Based on a novella by Upton Sinclair or Sinclair Lewis--I forget which.

Savages A-: Fantastic acting about the difficult subject on a parent dying. Hard to watch at moments but also amusing in spots.

Jumper C+: Special effects are cool, very disappointing when I got 1/3 into the movie to discover they just stole the plot from another cult sci-fi movie.

Bank Job B-: Plot not as flashy or unbelievable as a lot of heist movies are these days. Enjoyable but not amazing.

Iron Man: A+ Everything an action/comic movie should be.

Baby Momma: B+ Good writing with some funny cameos.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day: B- Amusing period comedy, nothing special but well executed.

Indiana Jones 4: A- just like the rest, fun if you don't take it too seriously

Son of Rambo: A very nice flick about two British kids trying to make their own Rambo-esque movie

Price Caspian: B Special effects good, pacing not so good.

Incredible Hulk: A

Kung Fu Panda: A

Wanted: B- I saw one head exploded by a bullet, seeing 20 didn't improve this movie.

OSS117: C+ French spoof on early Bond, not funny enough.

Animation Show 4: C meh

Gonzo: Life of Hunter S. Thompson B+

Hellboy A

Batman Man Dark Knight A+

Swing Vote C+ (free preview)

Get Smart C (I yawned during sections)

X-Files: B+ (still able to pull off scary and gross)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watched on DVD:
I purchased the Coen Brothers box set.
Watched Raising Arizona
Blood Simple B+
Barton Fink: Very over-rated. C+
Miller's Crossing: Also over-rated B-

Interesting to watch their early movie (Blood Simple) and see a number of devices that were used more effectively in their latter movies. For example, the bumbling mistakes show up in Fargo where the guy forgets where he buried the money. Also the use of footsteps on a stairs and hallway show up in the hotel scene of No Country for Old Men. Frances McDormand is not great--she has clearly improved on a actress over the years.

[ PM The Falconer ]   __________________
http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

August 4, 2008 3:20:43 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Batman Begins--> A+. I have no idea what I gave it the first time I saw it, I do know I liked it a lot, but both boys were younger and didn't like it as much as the earlier, lighter ones. Now seeing it again after seeing The Dark Knight they were raving about it and I liked it even more.

Partygoer--> "Nice car."

Bruce Wayne--> "You should see my other one." :classic:

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

August 6, 2008 11:21:36 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: D-

It's pretty clear why Rachael Weisz didn't sign on for this one.

Only thing that kept if from getting an F was that some of the special effects and fight sequences were pretty cool.

If you turn off your brain and go in expecting a mindless summer action movie, your intelligence will still be insulted. The plot is 10 kinds of predictable, but just in case you've got no clue, the characters will explain why they are where they are and what's about to happen in every scene for you with some of the most contrived, hackneyed dialogue since the Anakin/Padme romance sequences in Star Wars Episode 2. I mean, Jeebus, did they get George Lucas to write the script, or something?

If you get up to go to the bathroom during this movie, the other people in the theater will think that you'd had enough insipidness for one day and are leaving for good. They'll probably follow you intending to the same thing themselves.

Don't even bother putting this one in the Netflix queue.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

August 8, 2008 10:53:54 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

A Man For All Seasons - A+

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

August 11, 2008 4:08:41 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
JG said...
We went as a family, the wife and the two utes, aged 13 and 10, to see The Dark Knight. I must have missed the "bad" parts; howwever, I haven't noticed any ill effects.

Did I miss something?

Just saw Dark Knight with the fambly over the weekend. I told CS Jr. that it was supposed to be really creepy and he was cool with it. He DID NOT like the knives in the mouth scenes with The Joker and turned his head away. VERY up close and intimate and realistic. I looked at the wife as the boy turned away - and we both did the "oh my" face.

It was more disturbing than I expected - putting Saw-like "decide who lives" decisions in the hands of normal people, the Joker's torture videos, the closeup knife stuff, VERY high body count.

As the end credits roll, in full tilt sarcasm voice, CS Jr. says "oh no, that wasn't disturbing AT ALL".

I liked it quite a bit and Ledgers was really quite something - up there in Hannibal Lechter country for sure, but it should have been R rated. They avoided it by taking all the blood and guts SFX out and leaving in intense and realistic murder and torture themes. I don't buy it.

from the MPAA site:
quote:
An R-rated motion picture, in the view of the Rating Board, contains some adult material. An R-rated motion picture may include adult themes, adult activity, hard language, intense or persistent violence....

seriously is there any question on those? I would have been pissed had I gone in there with a kid thinking it was the newest batman movie and comparable to X-men, spiderman, etc.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   Edited by CheapSeats August 11, 2008 10:34:53 am.

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

CheapSeats

August 11, 2008 4:45:51 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
Part 1, Jan-May
Big Sleep - B- Had it's moments, even lots of them and I feel like a bad person for giving such a classic something that close to a C. But there was WAY too much going on, too many tangled stories, too many bodies, too many killers and too many things Marlow figured out without clues that were available to the audience. The key to mysteries is to give the audience all the clues needed to solve the case.
It was well worth watching, but trying to follow the all plot twists and character relationships just got in the way of the awesome chandler dialog and chemistry between bogey and becall. FWIW - I just read the plot summary on wikipedia. Jebus, probably works great as a novel, but you just can't track that many threads in a single viewing of a 120 minute movie.
The Good German - B Looks great, good acting with modern actors doing a good tribute to the noir style. Toby McGuire is quite good. The story is a bit weak - maybe because there just wasn't the spark between Clooney and Blanchett that would justify his apparent infatuation with her.
(interesting movies to see so close to each other.)
Marie Antoinette - B Really amazing costumes and sets (to the extent full access to shoot at Versailles is a "set"), the movie is really odd for a historical drama. There isn't much drama/plot and various scenes use incredibly odd music selection - tending towards 80's new wave. It worked for me - Antionette as Paris Hilton, who does the right thing, perhaps the first adult act of her life in staying in Versailles and with her king as the crowds come for them. Didn't work for the wife at all.
Rushmore - B- Had it's moments for sure, but could have either gone darker with the nastiness with between Murray and the kid getting amped up and been more interesting. Ended up going for the happy ending instead.
The Point - B I was really excited to refind this movie. I remembered seeing it when it aired on TV when I was a kid, but didn't know the name or remember the story at all. I only remembered the "Me and my Arrow" song and the kid and his dog. Pretty good, very trippy - but not as good as I remembered. Netflix thinks that the original was narrated by Dustin Hoffman and that the DVD is redone with Ringo Starr instead. Maybe that's part of it.
Surfs Up - A- The surf mockumentary format works great. WAY better than expected animated penguin/surfer movie.
Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill - A Izzard makes me laugh so hard I have to pee.
Wait Until Dark - A Audrey Hepburn plays a blind woman terrorized by some bad guys over a doll stuffed with heroin. Good, but it doesn't hold up as well as it could have. The payoff scenes (when she breaks out all her lightbulbs to even the playing field) is ECELLENT, but it takes a long time to get there.
Nancy Drew - C- Unlovable main character, stupid secondary characters and a predictable plot.
Don't mess with the Zohan - B+ A little draggy, but plenty funny. Good mindless summer movie fun.
Semi-pro - C This should have been a LOT funnier than it was. Too many of the same "look at Will Ferrel being fat" not enough of the smart/stupid 70s jokes and real funneh.
Hancock - B+ Why is this thing getting bad reviews? Will Smith is funny, the movie is funny, the special effects are good, but don't detract. Taking a 1/2 turn from comedy to drama is hardly a big deal - the whole switch hinges on a nice plot twist.
Russian Ark - A+/D A+ for technical excellence. An entire movie shot in ONE fucking HD steadycam take walking through the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg, with hundreds of costumed actors and never a glimpse of the always moving lighting and sound guys. But had the exact same movie been edited, it would have been textbook boring, pretentious, disjointed art film that added nothing to a high school knowledge of Russian history. More of a technical feat than a movie.
Blues Brothers 2000 - F- Christ. why? This actually gets dropped a letter grade from the D- the movie deserves because of the good music. Without the music, I'd have been able to turn the ****** off and move on.
Get Smart - B Kind of similar to Hancock - the action/comedy thing. Because of Austin Powers there was no chance to camp it up full-tilt funny, and the action got too big, summer spy movie at the end. Worked best in the smaller scenes, rhumba contest, laser sensors, etc.
Kung Fu Panda - B Better than expected. Jack Black works better as an animated character than in real life, enough of a straight story to make the rest work. They left a lot of funneh in the file cabinet by not doing a lot more taking off old-school fung fu movie cliches.
WallE - A Pixar's best to date. The only downside is that it's so**** good it's time for Pixar to make a movie just for grownups with all that talent they have running around.
The Apostle - A+ A really rare bird of a movie. Robert Duvall played this straight up and let the chips fall where they may, there's no irony, knowing winks or any sign that he has anything but love and sympathy for his all too human pentecostal preacher. It feels far more like a documentary than anything else. outstanding
The Sandlot: Heading Home - C don't bother unless you need something to watch with the kids. The first is awesome, however.
The Benchwarmers - C Prpbably John Lovitz' and Rob Schneider's best movie ever. Neither annoyed me so much I had to turn it off and miss the occasional retard humor.
Hudsucker Proxy - B Not as good as I remembered, but still a good flick.
We Are Marshall - A- Good but too predictable. Other than Brian's Song was there ever a sports movie where the good guys DIDN'T make the big play in the final big game?
I Love You Again - A Myrna Loy and William Powell, dialog almost as good as any of the Thin Man movies and a better plot.
Miller's Crossing - A- A really good flick, but in the end, I walked away with a "what?" because I didn't really understand or even care why Gabriel Byrn's character had done the things he had.
The Martian Child - B The lovable kid, the lonely widower, the old dog, the sassy sister, the not quite girlfriend, the hard hearted doctor. They're all here. An almost perfect, but DEAD formula movie. You'll like it if you're in the mood for exactly what you know it's going to be.
Syriana - A Maybe an A+. Everyone is good, the story is interestingly structured, the characters all felt real, and in the end no one is really a bad guy and no one is really a bad guy and things just kind of happen. But in a way that feels like a strong narrative.
The Caveman's Valentine - A- Good little sleeper movie with Samuel L. Jackson as a crazy street person who lives in a cave in the park and thinks that he's trying to solve a murder. Jackson is stragely believable despite the fantastic plot and his fantastic character's background.
Solaris - A+ (clooney's 2002) Watched this one night, then after thinking about it and talking about the ending with he wife watched it again the next. I don't think I've ever done anything like that before. (FWIW - We both liked it, but only I had read the book). I can't really put my finger on why we liked it. Good but simple sets, but a really gorgeous overall look, great acting, but mostly notable for it's quietness and subtlety, good dialog but minutes at a time go by without any. (the wife picked out Harold from Harold and Kumar in the opening on the second time - LAFFO). Put the Russian 1972 version at the top of my netflix queue to compare.
Nim's Island - B+Nice kid movie adventure about a little girl living on a remote pacific island with her marine biologist dad. Dad gets shipwrecked, Nim get's (sorta) rescued by Jodie Foster, an agoraphobic adventure writer who contacts her accidentally by email. Had some atypical and interesting touches, but would have been better if it had gone further into fantasy or stayed more completely realistic.
Dirty, Pretty Things - A Kind of an odd combination - immigrant love story hooked to a thriller that combines the best of both, while avoiding the cliches of either. Really excellent cast across the board as well.
Pineapple Express - A A stoner movie reworking of the action movie genre. 32 flavors of funny, best fight scenes ever, with LAFFOs all over the place.
Hard Candy - B+ A flat out brutal little indy film that pits a 14 year old girl against a possible pedophile. Lots of gutwrenching emotional twists and turns, changing direction a half dozen times at least. Ellen Page plays the girl and is flat out amazing (the pregnant girl in Juno and Shadowcat, the girl who runs through walls, in X-men 3). The use of sound (ambient only, no music) and an advertising/music video HD closeup style with lots of manipulation of color do a lot to build and hold intensity.

La Moustache - B- An odd artsy/psychological movie about identity, sanity, reality, and such. Some nice photography, but it didn't work for my so much - which might well have had a lot to do with thinking we were renting a commedy about a dood shaving off his moustache and everyone around him then telling him he'd never had one.

Wag the Dog - B+ Good cast, relatively funny while still trying to be meaningful. Willie Nelson and Dustin Hoffman were awesome.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   Edited by CheapSeats September 9, 2008 8:54:37 am.

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

juansamuel

August 11, 2008 4:57:27 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
>

oops, I got way behind on movies

The Apostle - A+A really rare bird of a movie. Robert Duvall played this straight up and let the chips fall where they may, there's no irony, knowing winks or any sign that he has anything but love and sympathy for his all too human pentecostal preacher. It feels far more like a documentary than anything else. outstanding

The Sandlot: Heading Home - C don't bother unless you need something to watch with the kids. The first is awesome, however.

Love the first Sandlot as well too also for sure.

The Apostle is one of my favorite movies of all time. The whole movie is my favorite part.

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

August 11, 2008 5:00:16 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Pineapple Express get an A. It's fucking hilarious, but maybe not quite as good as Superbad. I like the character that plays Red. he was also really funny in Hot Rod.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JG

August 12, 2008 8:24:19 am

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

confirm on The Sandlot and The Apostle

Almost Famous A - Dang. Cameron Crowe has done some really excellent work and has had a pretty cool life

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

August 12, 2008 8:39:50 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
JG said...

Almost Famous A - Dang. Cameron Crowe has done some really excellent work and has had a pretty cool life

But his wife probably kicks his *** in Guitar Dork.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JG

August 12, 2008 8:48:06 am

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...
quote:
JG said...

But his wife probably kicks his *** in Guitar Dork.

Yeah, but then she fucks him. And he's not married to her sister.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

August 13, 2008 12:09:20 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Contempt--> A-

Jack Palance as the consummate American--> A++

Bridget(sp?) Bardot--> A+

Direction, Scenery, Cinematography--> A

Euro introspection--> C

Bridget(sp?) Bardot's booty--> P, for perfect.

Opening credits--> A++

Euro's may be strange, but they sure are creative. Guarantee Woody Allen has seen this movie more than once.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   Edited by Pacer Fan August 13, 2008 3:34:32 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

August 13, 2008 8:36:57 am

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...
Contempt--> A-

that's what I'm talking about. movies that I wouldn't have otherwise found. Added to my netflix queue (at 325, apparently I need to watch movies faster).

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

JG

August 13, 2008 9:11:30 am

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

Marty A

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

August 17, 2008 2:05:30 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Vicky Christina Barcelona--> B+

Good acting, lucious scenery (including the actresses) and some funny stuff. Not a masterpiece, but better than a lot of recent Woody Allen work. The movie really picks up when Penelope Cruz hits the screen.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

August 19, 2008 9:02:48 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Woman in the Window--> B

Excellent writing and direction. Hawtness w/no nudity. Tension and action w/no spurting blood.

Joan Bennett--> F for

Edward G Robinson--> A

Supporting Actor whom I did not know--> B+

Unexplained plot twist dropped this almost a letter grade, surprise ending brought it up a half.

Fritz Lang is da bomb.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

August 20, 2008 4:06:20 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

Inconvenient Truth - I for incomplete. Came up in our Netflix queue and sat around the house for 2 weeks before the wife and I finally broke down and said "I don't want to watch it, do YOU want to watch it?.

They've going to take away my treehugger card.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Pacer Fan

August 21, 2008 8:36:22 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Enemy at the Gates--> A-

Very good WWII movie. Nazis vs Commies.

Law, Fiennes, Weisz and the kid--> A

Ed Harris----> A+++ every time he steps in front of the camera. One of my favorite actors.

Bob Hoskins as Kruschev---> A+++++ as in Are you freaking kidding me? I didn't even know it was he.

Highly recommended. Ending cost it a half a grade.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

August 21, 2008 11:43:26 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...
Enemy at the Gates--> A-

Very good WWII movie. Nazis vs Commies.

Law, Fiennes, Weisz and the kid--> A

Ed Harris----> A+++ every time he steps in front of the camera. One of my favorite actors.

Bob Hoskins as Kruschev---> A+++++ as in Are you freaking kidding me? I didn't even know it was he.

Highly recommended. Ending cost it a half a grade.

I remember thinking it was good. I saw it in the theater when it came out. Probly time for a rewatch

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

August 22, 2008 6:51:42 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...

LMAO @ commie lovers.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread