Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Pacer Fan

December 22, 2008 9:10:39 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El profesor said...
quote:
pacer fan said...
Dirty Harry--> A+++

One of the best movies ever, especially in the context of its times. v1's 1st "R" movie, though PG13 is the new "R".

Damn right, punk.

Harry Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.

The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?

Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

December 22, 2008 12:41:29 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...
Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

Sounds like a date with...

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

December 27, 2008 8:14:25 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

WALL*E==> B

We're going to try again later in the week, but imo this didn't live up to Pixar's (very high) standards. Some classic and lots of subtle funny moments, but it didn't rise to the level of their classics. Of course, not many movies do. I didn't like the sense that I was being lectured while I was being entertained.

This is on a lot of people's Top 10 list and the d00d in the WSJ had it and Slumdog Millionaire as his best movie in 2008. He didn't call it a tie, but refused to pick one, so we're going to try it again in a couple of days.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

December 28, 2008 7:26:52 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Outlaw Josey Wales--> A++++++++++

One of the best movies ever.

Getting busted for letting v2 watch it.---> F

Netflix has it rated PG. That has to be wrong. Oh well, he loved it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

December 28, 2008 9:12:58 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

ended up seeing Valkyrie yesterday.

No complaints. Good movie. Nothing that took our breath away, but still a solid film.

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Daddyman

December 28, 2008 3:56:28 pm

Holier Than Thou

[ Link to this post ]

Marley and Me - B. Of course, Jennifer Anniston is the best part of the movie. Owen Wilson does a credible job. It's a good attempt to show a dog being so much of the family while dealing with "marriage" and its struggles, but it lacked the depth and emotional connection of the book. Not unexpected - it is what it is.

Gurn After Reading - B-. Not the Coen Bros best effort. Frankly the script didn't hold up to the actors. Glad I waited to rent it

[ PM Daddyman ]   __________________
"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

dylvez

December 30, 2008 7:00:04 am

Birdshit Magnet

[ Link to this post ]

Friday Night Lights - B+

After having watched 37 episodes of the tv show in the nine days prior to watching the movie, it was a tad bit "eh," but still good. There should have been more Connie Britton and less Tim McGraw.

Still a good movie, and**** if those boys played like NFL starters compared to the mighty Milton Eagles of my day.

[ PM dylvez ]   __________________
"The problem with being a self-loathing narcissist is that I hate how awesome I am."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

December 30, 2008 8:03:01 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
dylvez said...
Friday Night Lights - B+

After having watched 37 episodes of the tv show in the nine days prior to watching the movie, it was a tad bit "eh," but still good. There should have been more Connie Britton and less Tim McGraw.

Still a good movie, and**** if those boys played like NFL starters compared to the mighty Milton Eagles of my day.

The movie was good, but the book was better. Haven't seen the Tee Vee show.

One of the trends of the last 5 years has been the improvement across the board of Milton athletics. They are pretty good in each of the big 3 and really good in lacrosse.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

TheDowman

December 30, 2008 11:26:44 am

Nerdroach of the sea!

[ Link to this post ]

Valkyrie - B+.
Solid acting from everyone involved, however Tom Cruise is a little unbelievable as a German Colonel. While I didn't know exactly how the story was going to go, I knew that Hitler committed suicide and was not assassinated, so I knew that ultimately the conspirators plot was going to fail. I think that knowing the ultimate ending hurt some of the dramatic tension in the movie. Also, I eas expecting a lot more Nazi killin' out of Tom Cruise in this one.

Gran Torino - A+++
Dirty Harry ain't goin' to no retirement home! Absolutely incredible movie, and Clint really steals the show in this one. Although he's not technically playing Harry Callahan, here, Eastwood's character in this movie was clearly intended to be very similar, but still different enough. Eastwood plays a solitary old codger living in what are now the suburban slums of Detroit who still carries around serious old school, 50s-era values - and prejudices. The movie becomes an unexpected comedic drama because of Eastwood's oft-times racist take-no-shit, call-it-as-he-sees-it interactions with his family, friends, and neighbors. If he was just a mean old bastard this movie would be horrendous, but youl slowly begins to see that this man really does have a heart of gold underneath his gruff exterior. Slowly he warms to his new Asian next-door neighbors, seeing that a lot of their traditional values mirror his own, and he begins to look at the neighbors teenaged children almost as the children he wished he been able to raise, he takes them under his wing as a friend and father figure. The local Asian gangbangers try to forcibly recruit the neighbor boy into the gang, and eventually it comes to the point where Eastwood has to do something about it - to be the man, the father that these kids need, and do what it takes to protect them from the gang, forever. And Clint was dead on when he utters the line "They're never gonna see it comin'." I know I didn't. This is one of the best dramas I've seen in a long time. It's well worth the $10 to see this one on the big screen.

[ PM TheDowman ]   __________________
"If there's no good reason for a law to exist, then there is a great reason for it to not exist." - H.A.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

December 30, 2008 1:01:14 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
TheDowman said...
If he was just a mean old bastard this movie would be horrendous, but youl slowly begins to see that this man really does have a heart of gold underneath his gruff exterior.

That is something I always appreciated out of Dirty Harry. He was grumpy and tactless, but he had this immovable moral center. I know it sometimes came off as populist pandering for an audience who enjoyed cops not worrying so much about procedure and politics and more about kicking the everlovin'**** out of bad guys, but you can also see it as a sort of study in trusting your ethics more than trusting the law.

FWIW, I think it's the same kind of thing that makes Batman so enduring and, ultimately, so much more interesting than other comic book heroes. And if the Watchman movie comes out as scheduled, the character Rorschach will be a fan favorite for his "no compromises, not ever" attitude.

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing this movie. Glad to see Clint reviving the kind of character that made him famous.

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

December 31, 2008 5:49:21 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

There will be no 2009 movie tracker I would assume, since stickying is not possible.

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

January 9, 2009 4:40:00 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Daddyman said...
Burn After Reading - B-. Not the Coen Bros best effort. Frankly the script didn't hold up to the actors. Glad I waited to rent it

Yeah, movie took a hard right turn into drama with Pitt in the closet and never figured out what the **** it really was.

I'm almost willing to give it a full letter grade upgrade for the **** chair though.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

michael corleone

January 16, 2009 10:33:59 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
TheDowman said...
If he was just a mean old bastard this movie would be horrendous, but youl slowly begins to see that this man really does have a heart of gold underneath his gruff exterior.

That is something I always appreciated out of Dirty Harry. He was grumpy and tactless, but he had this immovable moral center. I know it sometimes came off as populist pandering for an audience who enjoyed cops not worrying so much about procedure and politics and more about kicking the everlovin'**** out of bad guys, but you can also see it as a sort of study in trusting your ethics more than trusting the law.

FWIW, I think it's the same kind of thing that makes Batman so enduring and, ultimately, so much more interesting than other comic book heroes. And if the Watchman movie comes out as scheduled, the character Rorschach will be a fan favorite for his "no compromises, not ever" attitude.

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing this movie. Glad to see Clint reviving the kind of character that made him famous.

Saw Grand Torino tonight. Awesome. Hand him the Oscar. The movie is much funnier than I expected (the scenes in the barber shop are priceless).

Eastwood manages to combine his Dirty Harry persona with Archie Bunker.

[ PM michael corleone ]   __________________
ôThe United States does not have a security system; it has a system for bothering people.ö - Israeli Air-security expert

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

the boulder

January 24, 2009 11:47:44 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Can we untag this now and make the 2009 Movie Thread the stickied one?

[ PM the boulder ]   __________________
"Limits, just like fear, is often an illusion" -Michael Jordan

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

the boulder

January 24, 2009 11:48:10 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Edit: Nevermind. I guess not.

[ PM the boulder ]   __________________
"Limits, just like fear, is often an illusion" -Michael Jordan

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Carz

February 21, 2009 11:50:28 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
michael corleone said...
quote:
H.A. said...
quote:
TheDowman said...

Saw Grand Torino tonight. Awesome. Hand him the Oscar. The movie is much funnier than I expected (the scenes in the barber shop are priceless).

Eastwood manages to combine his Dirty Harry persona with Archie Bunker.

I took my son to see it tonight and we both really enjoyed it. Oddly, i explained who Archie Bunker was to him as we were leaving the theatre. More depth than I expected. The young lady that played Sue was excellent too. The movie needed the perfect character to charm him accept the neighbors and she was perfectly suited for that part.

[ PM Carz ]   __________________
Oh, like they knew the difference!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

shoelaces

July 7, 2009 12:50:50 am

3rd Line Checker

[ Link to this post ]

Looking forward to seeing HurtLocker.

http://thehurtlocker-movie.com/

[ PM shoelaces ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Bongo

September 18, 2009 12:57:31 pm

High-Class low-life

[ Link to this post ]

Cadillac Records from Netflix. Largely fictional account(based on a true story)about Chess Records and it's major stars. A great cast; the notables Adrien Brody, Jeffrey Wright, Mos Def as Leonard Chess, Muddy Waters, and Chuck Berry in that order are overshadowed by the powerful performances of Columbus Short as Little Walter, Eamonn Walker as Howlin' Wolf(the greatest blues singer that ever lived)and Beyonce as Etta James. A little too much detail is given to personal lives and they **** with the time line a bit but if you like the blues or have an interest in popular culture, you'd probably this movie. Besides, any movie with the Wolf as a character can't possibly be bad.

[ PM Bongo ]   __________________
"Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man."...Waylon Jennings

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23 )
Previous Thread | Next Thread