Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

juansamuel

April 3, 2008 5:18:21 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

We Own the Night: B- Probably would get a C+, but Eva Mendes gives it a bump. The movie probably would have been better if J. Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg had switched roles.

The Darjeeling Limited: A I watched it again and enjoyed it just as much. Don't know why it didn't good reviews, but i understand why it didn't make much money. I'm just glad that I get it.

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

April 4, 2008 12:46:45 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

The Astronaut Farmer - D. This movie is amazingly predictable and equally dumb.

[ PM Rasp ]   __________________
"Staple guns: Because duct tape can't make that 'kaCHUNK' noise." -xkcd

The Falconer

April 5, 2008 2:47:15 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
Gone Baby Gone A-

cool movie, Rent it. Casey Affleck is about the sixth best thing in it. Good acting. Brutal drama. Liked almost everything. I got over it being directed and written by Ben Affleck. The Amy Ryan chick is so friggin awesome. She's a great villain. You will hate her because she plays a white trash mama so well.

confirm. I can't tell you how much that movie surprised me in terms of being much better than I expected. I walked out at the end and was in complete turmoil.

quote:
The Falconer said...
quote:
juansamuel said...
The Darjeeling Limited: A I watched it again and enjoyed it just as much. Don't know why it didn't good reviews, but i understand why it didn't make much money. I'm just glad that I get it.

I usually like his films but I found this one boring and tedious. There are few good moments like the scene with the Indian family in the village.

[ PM The Falconer ]   Edited by The Falconer April 4, 2008 6:50:38 pm.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

The Falconer

April 5, 2008 2:59:06 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

I Am Legend B+: Will Smith has to carry this movie all by himself like Tom Hands in Castaway. Solid, I was hoping for great.

Kite Runner A-: beautiful, my mom considers the book one of the best things she has read in many years.

Alien V Predator II C: Alien and Predator mayhem, I expected little and was left satisfied.

Cloverfield B-: I nearly barfed, only watched the screen about 50% of the time.

U2 3D A: If this is the future of concert movies I'm very excited. My U2 passion has faded a bit lately but I walked out of this pumped and totally jazzed about hearing the old classics.

There will be Blood! A: Worth seeing just for D-D. Lewis amazing performance. Each character he plays in movies has a distinct way of speaking. Based on a novella by Upton Sinclair or Sinclair Lewis--I forget which.

Savages A-: Fantastic acting about the difficult subject on a parent dying. Hard to watch at moments but also amusing in spots.

Jumper C+: Special effects are cool, very disappointing when I got 1/3 into the movie to discover they just stole the plot from another cult sci-fi movie.

Bank Job B-: Plot not as flashy or unbelievable as a lot of heist movies are these days. Enjoyable but not amazing.

[ PM The Falconer ]   __________________
http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

April 5, 2008 1:30:51 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
The Falconer said...

There will be Blood! A: Worth seeing just for D-D. Lewis amazing performance. Each character he plays in movies has a distinct way of speaking. Based on a novella by Upton Sinclair or Sinclair Lewis--I forget which.

Yeah he is great. "Religion is a superstition and I am a false prophet."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Daddyman

April 5, 2008 8:45:28 pm

Holier Than Thou

[ Link to this post ]

Leatherheads B- Decent movie, some mildly funny lines, but nothing great. a good plot, but pretty formulaic. Worth renting when it gets to video, but don't spend your money at the theater. Also, Renee Zellweger was given some good dialogue, but she just never impresses me.

The Gameplan C Saw it on video. Did not like the child actress. Way too polished. I would have graded it lower, but I always liked the Rock, still do, but not much here.

Enchanted A First at the theater, now on video. Great flick that doesn't give a crap that you know the plot. Amy Adams plays her role fantastically, and is mega-hawt. I thought some of the intentionally over the top humor was hysterical. As afar as a movie I'd see with my kids, probably moved to #3 behind Princess Bride and Elf

[ PM Daddyman ]   __________________
"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

April 6, 2008 8:00:45 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

- The 3 Bourne flicks: B - all at once over the last few days. We saw 1 and 3 at the theatre, but missed 2.
- Rounders: A (upgraded on second thought)
- Buddy Holly Story: solid A
- Radio: B- Cuba Gooding Jr. Nice story, particularly good ending
- Dreamgirls: B+ - CS Jr apparently doesn't do musicals, Eddie Murphy is awesome
- Rent: D- Couldn't get "Everybody has AIDS" from Team America out of my head, didn't finish watching
- Jet Li Fearless: B - good story, EXCELLENT action sequences and photography
- Almost Heros: F - Proof that the bad that is Chris Farley is powerful enough to turn a Christopher Guest movie into a horrible mess. Turned it off
- Good Night and Good Luck: B- good, preachy, not enough tension
- U2 3D: A - IMAX 3d is impressive. Technically impressive, VERY immersive and emotional. Best concert film since Stop Making Sense even if U2 are panty-wearing, peacemongers. Solid.
- Flash Gordon: B (me) D- (wife) - wife hated it, kid made fun of it. Incredible costumes and Queen soundtrack couldn't save high school drama club quality acting from the 2 leads.
- Ratcatcher: C - Trainspotting without the music, humor, or dialog. Just a dirt poor scotish kid, garbage and depression probably ends in heroin overdose. could be good, but wasn't in the mood - turned it off.
- Bottom: D - BBC TV series from 2 of the Young Ones. All of the stupid, some of the gross, not enough of the funny of Young Ones. Gave up.
- Capote: A - Really good, who knew that Harper Lee and Capote were contemporaries. Now I have to go and read Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood.
- The Beat that My Heart Skipped: B+ - French movie about a real estate developer/thug who has a run in with the Russian mob while trying to start a career as a professional classical pianist. I know that makes no sense, but it's a really good guy movie in a strange way.
- White Fang: B - Ethan Hawk, Better than average kid/dog/adventure movie. Kid liked it
- In the Company of Men: A- Could be the meanest movie I've ever seen. You will have interesting conversations if you watch it with your significant other.
- The Trouble with Harry: B+ What an oddly macabre little "comedy". Quiet good, CS Jr. and the wife liked it too. Ultra early performance by Jerry "The Beaver" Mathers with Shirley McClain and John Forsyth.
- Memento: A Not sure how I managed to go this long without seeing it. Good acting, good story, nice inverted timeline construction. Didn't realize that Christopher Nolan did The Prestige and Batman Begins until I looked at Netflix for more of his stuff and found that I'd seen them all.
- Following: B Christopher Nolan's 1st movie. A B&W film noir with a twist ending that is**** near as strong as Memento's. Not as polished, but amazing for a first movie.
- Ratatouille: A - Rewatched on netflix. Better the second time, what a good movie. Lots of stuff lifted from Tony Bourdain.
- Charade: B+ Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn romantic thriller. Feels like Hitchcock, but isn't.
- Superbad: B+ Must watch high school comedy. Incredibly funny, incredibly awkward to watch with significant other at times.
- Broken Flowers: A (if you like Jarumusch movies) - A Jim Jarmusch movie with Bill Murray in the same kind of quiet role that he did in Lost in Translation. Murray is an "aging Don Juan" on a road trip to find out which of his ex's from 20 years before may have sent him an anonymous letter about having a son.
- In Her Shoes: B- Hot, evil, slutty sister Cameron Diaz and not-hot lawyer sister Toni Collette have a falling out, re-find their grandmother (Shirley MacLaine) and but end up with a big old girlie crying happy ending where something more interesting looked like it might happen. A better than average chick flick with a lot of Diaz flesh
- The Illusionist: Solid B+ Came out at the same time as the flawed, but more interesting "The Prestige"
- The Forbidden Zone: D-B+ depending on your taste for weirdness. The Citzen Kane of cult movies, starring HervÚ Villechaize. Mostly a whacked out plot strung together to let Dany Elfman put all of the songs from his "Knights of the Oingo-Boingo" into a movie. Lots of boobies in B&W and silly dry humping, and a guy in a giant frog head mask. If you decide it sucks, fast forward to the scene near the end with Elfman as Satan doing Mini the Moocher.
The motorcycle Diaries: B+ Che Guevara, the early years. As a buddy movie. Well worth seeing, left us researching more about Che and leprosy.
Pan's Labyrinth: A+ Not as disturbing or gory as I'd been lead to believe. But I'm still glad I didn't take CS Jr. to see it - really phenomenal and heart-wrenching
Ultraviolet: C Milla Jovovich being all sexa and gorgeous use of color that Akira Kurasawa wouldn't have been embarrassed by can't save bad writing and mess of a plot that is mostly and excuse for setting up the next fight scene. The fact that the fight scenes were repetitive and needed a serious injection of hong kong made it ever worse. Sad - with a decent screenwriter and a good hong kong fight choreographer it could have rivaled the Matrix.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   Edited by CheapSeats April 6, 2008 12:08:02 pm.

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

fulms

April 7, 2008 9:38:11 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Bank Job - A

It's hard to give a movie that starts with a threesome scene less than an A. It didn't disappoint after that either. Somewhat slow towards the middle, but finished strong. Apparently based on a true story about the queen having pictures taken of her partaking in said threesome.

[ PM fulms ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

April 7, 2008 11:18:32 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
fulms said...
The Bank Job - A

It's hard to give a movie that starts with a threesome scene less than an A. It didn't disappoint after that either. Somewhat slow towards the middle, but finished strong. Apparently based on a true story about the queen having pictures taken of her partaking in said threesome.

I see that T.Rex is on the soundtrack, that's awesome. Is Saffron Burrows nekkid or near nekkid at any point?

[ PM Nnamath ]   Edited by Nnamath April 7, 2008 5:56:56 am.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

April 7, 2008 1:06:09 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

Revolver - D-. Self-indulgent heist/con movie that was in desperate need of an editing. I think Guy Ritchie has lost it. Too much Khabbala has made his directing pretentious and his plot boring. It's almost like there were 3 directors doing different scenes. This movie comes filled with psychobabble voice overs and predictable main characters interspersed with weird animated sequences that are totally out of place. Vincent Pastore playing yet another version of Big***** didn't help. How does this guy continue to get work?

Nnamath

April 7, 2008 1:57:43 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Rasp said...
Revolver - D-. Self-indulgent heist/con movie that was in desperate need of an editing. I think Guy Ritchie has lost it. Too much Khabbala has made his directing pretentious and his plot boring. It's almost like there were 3 directors doing different scenes. This movie comes filled with psychobabble voice overs and predictable main characters interspersed with weird animated sequences that are totally out of place. Vincent Pastore playing yet another version of Big***** didn't help. How does this guy continue to get work?

He should get his arse kicked for naming a movie that stinks after the best Beatles record.

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

April 7, 2008 7:24:30 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
quote:
Rasp said...

He should get his arse kicked for naming a movie that stinks after the best Beatles record.

He made Abbey Road into a movie?

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

April 7, 2008 7:46:58 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
Nnamath said...
quote:
Rasp said...

second best

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

YC

April 7, 2008 8:01:42 pm

Sweet, like a spoonful of sugared arsenic. P.S. also a Princess

[ Link to this post ]

August Rush - B+ Keri Russell gives another great performance. The MMC girl can act

Enchanted - B- The music is fun, but the whole thing is too cheesy (even my daughter thought so)

Nancy Drew - B+

Good Luck Chuck - B (but Jessica Alba in penguin underwear gets an A) it had some good funny moments.

The Comebacks - D This was just a really bad freakin movie

[ PM YC ]   __________________
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

April 7, 2008 9:05:29 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
quote:
El Profesor said...
quote:
Nnamath said...
quote:
Rasp said...

second best

No, Revolver is about 4th best.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

April 8, 2008 3:43:29 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Atonement B-: It certainly was well done. Keira Knightley is really pretty. I know these types movies/books are supposed to be tragic, but this little twist was just too much for me.

Ocean's 13 A:It's just an enjoyable movie all the way through. I thought 12 was terrible so I wasn't all that excited about seeing this one, but it came through. Ellen Barkin= Sexy. I think Scott Caan should be getting better roles. He and Casey Affleck stole the show.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

hudsons1

April 9, 2008 9:12:16 am

All-Star

[ Link to this post ]

Things We Lost In The Fire-- B

Story line-- A little plodding

Acting-- Del Toro is a convincing junkie, Halle Berry a bit overwrought, sometimes it appears she studied at the William Shatner School of Acting.

Cinematography-- A

Captain Beefheart on the soundtrack-- A+++++++++

[ PM hudsons1 ]   __________________
I like the city, I like the country, it's the in-between I have problems with.--Steve Earle

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Rasp

April 9, 2008 3:56:17 pm

Floppy

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
juansamuel said...
Ellen Barkin= Sexy. I think Scott Caan should be getting better roles. He and Casey Affleck stole the show.

Sorry. Ellen Barkin is really living up to her name. Way too much surgery.

Millwood

April 9, 2008 4:06:54 pm

Top Yeap

[ Link to this post ]

Get out and get some fresh air, fatties.

[ PM Millwood ]   __________________
This marble I just ate is soft, chewy and sweet. It reminds me of a gumball. - Barack Obama

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Matheos

April 9, 2008 9:48:52 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Millwood said...
Get out and get some fresh air, fatties.

pollen count 14 billion = no fresh air, pass the buttered popcorn plz

[ PM Matheos ]   __________________
it's probably not too sensible for me to get loaded while I listen to "Tooth And Nail" all by myself. But I can't deny my heart: I like to drink, and I like to rock. You think I'm an idiot? Fine. You don't have to come over.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread