Support the SmirkinChicken when you shop at Amazon.
SmirkinChicken Forums SmirkinChicken Forums
Log Out

Forum Jump:

The Secret Board -> 2008 Movie Tracker

Author  
Post Reply to this thread

Nnamath

April 9, 2008 9:51:55 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Millwood said...
Get out and get some fresh air, fatties.

was at St Mt all day with the chirren. Blow me.

[ PM Nnamath ]   __________________
Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pfloyd75

April 11, 2008 12:34:50 pm

2nd Line Scorer

[ Link to this post ]

Long Way Round- A. Documentary of Ewan McGreggor and his buddy riding Motorcycles Across England, Asia and then from Alaska to New York. Fascinating.

Bruiser- D. Mid 90's George Romero flick. Terrible. Really just awful.

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium- B-. Entertaining but just kinda ends abruptly. Natalie Portman.

[ PM Pfloyd75 ]   __________________
Bacon is proof that God loves us and wants us to consume inferior creatures.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

decadent

April 14, 2008 12:16:52 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Drillbit Taylor: about a B-. Depended too much on Owen Wilson's persona. Seems like I had seen big chunks of the plot in other flicks. I did get to talk about school bullies with my nephew so it did open up that conversation. For real vicious fights, he says, it's the girls that come out swinging!!!

A Good Year:B+ absolutely beautiful movie set in France. Nothing new, might be better if I were a fan of Russell Crowe more.

[ PM decadent ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

juansamuel

April 18, 2008 12:51:17 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

The Bourne Ultimatum A: It's safe that I am, how do you say?, teh ghey for Matt Damon. I am weary of most action movies, but this was**** good.

[ PM juansamuel ]   __________________
http://atlantasairforce.tumblr.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

April 20, 2008 8:18:01 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Point Break - A

Truly a classic. It never gets old. Keanu, Swayze, Busey; perfect.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

April 20, 2008 9:08:58 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
Point Break - A

It's basic dog psychology, brah. If you scare them, get them pissing down their leg, they submit... you control them. If you project weakness, you draw aggression... that's how people get hurt.

Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. You project strength to avoid conflict.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

H.A.

April 20, 2008 10:38:48 pm

Amen

[ Link to this post ]

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

OMG what a floater. Of course, I disagree with the premise, and the "facts" presented in this poor excuse for a documentary are easily exposed as either half-truths or outright lies. But even then, I wasn't prepared for how offensive this turd is.

When did Ben Stein go from a cuddy C-list celeb to such a repugnant little troll?

[ PM H.A. ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

The Falconer

April 21, 2008 1:13:10 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Watched on DVD:
I purchased the Coen Brothers box set.
Watched Raising Arizona (had seen it already) and Blood Simple B+ so far.

Interesting to watch their early movie (Blood Simple) and see a number of devices that were used more effectively in their latter movies. For example, the bumbling mistakes show up in Fargo where the guy forgets where he buried the money. Also the use of footsteps on a stairs and hallway show up in the hotel scene of No Country for Old Men. Frances McDormand is not great--she has clearly improved on a actress over the years.

At the Theater
I Am Legend B+: Will Smith has to carry this movie all by himself like Tom Hands in Castaway. Solid, I was hoping for great.

Kite Runner A-: beautiful, my mom considers the book one of the best things she has read in many years.

Alien V Predator II C: Alien and Predator mayhem, I expected little and was left satisfied.

Cloverfield B-: I nearly barfed, only watched the screen about 50% of the time.

U2 3D A: If this is the future of concert movies I'm very excited. My U2 passion has faded a bit lately but I walked out of this pumped and totally jazzed about hearing the old classics.

There will be Blood! A: Worth seeing just for D-D. Lewis amazing performance. Each character he plays in movies has a distinct way of speaking. Based on a novella by Upton Sinclair or Sinclair Lewis--I forget which.

Savages A-: Fantastic acting about the difficult subject on a parent dying. Hard to watch at moments but also amusing in spots.

Jumper C+: Special effects are cool, very disappointing when I got 1/3 into the movie to discover they just stole the plot from another cult sci-fi movie.

Bank Job B-: Plot not as flashy or unbelievable as a lot of heist movies are these days. Enjoyable but not amazing.

[ PM The Falconer ]   __________________
http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.com/

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

The Falconer

April 21, 2008 1:14:22 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
Point Break - A

you need to go rent the "Hot Fuzz" now, their is an entire "Point Break" homage section in that movie.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

CheapSeats

April 21, 2008 5:53:34 pm

Miss Stake

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
The Falconer said...
Jumper C+: Special effects are cool, very disappointing when I got 1/3 into the movie to discover they just stole the plot from another cult sci-fi movie.

what did they steal it from? I read the book and don't remember a theft.

[ PM CheapSeats ]   __________________
72 DO:{JHOPJHINS GREASTTEST TEWAM EVER MOTHER CFUCKERS!!!!
- Mangoholico

Spell check is the drunk man's penis pump. - Boatdrinks

We do not support government bailouts of private institutions. GOP 2008 platform

Pacer Fan

April 25, 2008 10:45:40 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

1/1: Pee Wee's Big Adventure--> D Netflix

1/4: Robots--> A- Robin Williams is a funny mf even animated. Netflix

1/6: The Wire-Season 2--> A Not quite as excellent as Season 1, but some pretty**** good teevee. Netflix

1/10: Monsters, Inc.--> A+ Best movie ending evar. Netflix

1/19: Spiderman 3--> C. Just needed about 3 more story lines to be totally incomprehensible. Cool "fight" scenes, tho. Netflix

1/21: Rounders--> A-. Trying to figure out what the "-" is for. Even more so trying to figure out how Dyl and Cheaps gave it a B. Tough graders. Netflix

1/23: The Wire-Season 3--> A+. Top Notch. What great acting and writing. Netflix

1/26: A Good Year--> B+/B Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott make a thoroughly entertaining "small" film. Great date movie. A Good Year >>> Sideways imho.
Netflix

2/2: Sideways--> B+ Better than I remembered and the comparison above is a little unfair. They're different movies. Certainly more moments in Sideways. Netflix

2/6: The Wire-Season 4--> A+ Again. Sad that there is only one more season. Netflix

2/15: 3:10 to Yuma--> B Excellent acting and a really good movie up until the ending. Netflix

2/17: Miller's Crossing--> B Good acting and writing, but there really didn't seem to be a point. The Coen brothers sure love to put all kinds of clever cinematic twists in their work, but I never really seem to get it. Netflix

Full Disclosure, this is lifted verbatim from Brickwall's review:

2/20: Eastern Promises--> B+ Very good movie. A little difficult to get into and it's not a high paced action thriller by any means, but very intense. Questions in the begin eventually come out through the course of the movie. The fight scene is not for the faint of heart. Netflix

Confirm. Oh, and Naomi Watts = hawtness

2/22: National Treasure, Book of Secrets--> C What a mess. What a cast. If I'm going to see Ed Harris and Helen Mirren in a scene together, I wish it had been in a better movie. The target audience (v2) gave it a 10. Theater

2/28: Cars--> A Watched it with the sprouts last Fall and, along with football, this movie got me off my *** and buying a bigger, better, badder tee vee. It was worth it. I Pixar. Netflix

3/4/08: Shawshank Redemption--> A Great movie, GREAT acting. OnDemand

3/7/08: Mr. Mom--> C+ Man did this movie look dated. Still, a good movie to watch with the fambly. I ed Terri Garr back in the day. OnDemand

3/8/08: The Jane Austen Book Club--> A- Great "little" movie. Great literate movie. Great chick flick. The "-" is because of the unremitting happy endings, but still well worth watching w/your spouse. Especially if you have both read Jane Austen, but that's not required. Netflix

3/29 American Gangster--> A- Good movie. Seemed like I had seen it somewhere before, though. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe are very good. Netflix

4/24/08 No Country for Old Men--> A- Good movie, but not as good as the book. Pretty grim and wayyyyyy bloody. Not really what I would have expected for Best Movie. Tommy Lee Jones is his standard excellent seff.

[ PM Pacer Fan ]   __________________
"We won the election. We wrote the bill."-Nancy Pelosi

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

El Profesor

April 25, 2008 12:16:35 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
pacer fan said...

4/24/08 No Country for Old Men--> A- Good movie, but not as good as the book. Pretty grim and wayyyyyy bloody. Not really what I would have expected for Best Movie. Tommy Lee Jones is his standard excellent seff.

I finally saw it last week. Solid A from me.

The scene with the guy at the gas station was an all-timer.

[ PM El Profesor ]   __________________
SUPPORT GUAY PENGWIN MARRIDGE!!!

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JG

April 25, 2008 1:20:23 pm

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

Smart People
B
pretty good movie
I don't particularly like Sarah Jessica Parker and didn't like her role because I do not think she is a good actor
I do like Dennis Quaid and thought he plays a very good absent minded English Professor, not El Proffesor

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

April 25, 2008 2:22:47 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
El Profesor said...
The scene with the guy at the gas station was an all-timer.

troof

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

auxlepli

April 26, 2008 7:41:17 pm

Barroom Hero

[ Link to this post ]

25th Hour = A
The performances and direction were exceptional.

[ PM auxlepli ]  

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

April 27, 2008 8:49:45 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

1/1: Pee Wee's Big Adventure--> D Netflix

1/4: Robots--> A- Robin Williams is a funny mf even animated. Netflix

1/6: The Wire-Season 2--> A Not quite as excellent as Season 1, but some pretty**** good teevee. Netflix

1/10: Monsters, Inc.--> A+ Best movie ending evar. Netflix

1/19: Spiderman 3--> C. Just needed about 3 more story lines to be totally incomprehensible. Cool "fight" scenes, tho. Netflix

1/21: Rounders--> A-. Trying to figure out what the "-" is for. Even more so trying to figure out how Dyl and Cheaps gave it a B. Tough graders. Netflix

1/23: The Wire-Season 3--> A+. Top Notch. What great acting and writing. Netflix

1/26: A Good Year--> B+/B Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott make a thoroughly entertaining "small" film. Great date movie. A Good Year >>> Sideways imho.
Netflix

2/2: Sideways--> B+ Better than I remembered and the comparison above is a little unfair. They're different movies. Certainly more moments in Sideways. Netflix

2/6: The Wire-Season 4--> A+ Again. Sad that there is only one more season. Netflix

2/15: 3:10 to Yuma--> B Excellent acting and a really good movie up until the ending. Netflix

2/17: Miller's Crossing--> B Good acting and writing, but there really didn't seem to be a point. The Coen brothers sure love to put all kinds of clever cinematic twists in their work, but I never really seem to get it. Netflix

Full Disclosure, this is lifted verbatim from Brickwall's review:

2/20: Eastern Promises--> B+ Very good movie. A little difficult to get into and it's not a high paced action thriller by any means, but very intense. Questions in the begin eventually come out through the course of the movie. The fight scene is not for the faint of heart. Netflix

Confirm. Oh, and Naomi Watts = hawtness

2/22: National Treasure, Book of Secrets--> C What a mess. What a cast. If I'm going to see Ed Harris and Helen Mirren in a scene together, I wish it had been in a better movie. The target audience (v2) gave it a 10. Theater

2/28: Cars--> A Watched it with the sprouts last Fall and, along with football, this movie got me off my *** and buying a bigger, better, badder tee vee. It was worth it. I Pixar. Netflix

3/4/08: Shawshank Redemption--> A Great movie, GREAT acting. OnDemand

3/7/08: Mr. Mom--> C+ Man did this movie look dated. Still, a good movie to watch with the fambly. I ed Terri Garr back in the day. OnDemand

3/8/08: The Jane Austen Book Club--> A- Great "little" movie. Great literate movie. Great chick flick. The "-" is because of the unremitting happy endings, but still well worth watching w/your spouse. Especially if you have both read Jane Austen, but that's not required. Netflix

3/29 American Gangster--> A- Good movie. Seemed like I had seen it somewhere before, though. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe are very good. Netflix

4/24/08 No Country for Old Men--> A- Good movie, but not as good as the book. Pretty grim and wayyyyyy bloody. Not really what I would have expected for Best Movie. Tommy Lee Jones is his standard excellent seff. Netflix

4/27/08 "M"--> A About as powerful as a movie can get. Peter Lorre-awesomely creepy. Netflix

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Nnamath

April 27, 2008 2:20:32 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead - aka Marisa Tomei is very very naked movie - B for the story, A for Marisa Tomei

good crime drama with plenty of angles. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke do good work.

Just rent it for Tomei. She's filthy hot and very naked. Thank me later

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

JG

April 27, 2008 8:23:54 pm

Fatty Banger

[ Link to this post ]

Fear X
Weird freakin movie. I'm certain that I do not understand it.

[ PM JG ]   __________________
CheapSeats said, "Not quote drani pout."

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Pacer Fan

April 27, 2008 10:02:36 pm

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
Nnamath said...
...Marisa Tomei is very very naked...

Six words guaranteed to move a movie to the top of a Netflix queue.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

The Falconer

April 28, 2008 12:47:45 am

Hall of Famer

[ Link to this post ]

quote:
cheapseats said...
quote:
The Falconer said...

what did they steal it from? I read the book and don't remember a theft.

[ Ignore This Idiot ]

Jump to page: ( 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...Last Page )
Previous Thread | Next Thread